Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Prep for the first show of the season (kiss)

So the first show of the season has since come and gone, but I am playing catch up again.

Last week I took both my girls to Windurra to get another good xc school in. I felt like Tillie's first one of the season was a bit rusty, and Kiss' was less than confident with the wet footing.



I rode Kiss first to tire her out so she would be happier about standing on the trailer. She came out feeling a lot more confident even if I wasn't. My biggest issue starting out this season is riding a bit timid/not brave enough up to jumps. Once I do, both my horses shine...but when I micromanage and shut them down...well they shut down.



Dom decided to have us tackle the water right away, discussing the order of jumps and questions and why we school in that order. I found it interesting since usually we wait for water later. But for him he wanted to put some "money in the bank" for later in our school.


She did well going right in and we got right to doing the bank out. We attempted to do her first ever bank into water and her confidence wasnt quite there, but here is the succession of getting through it!



and finally much more confident:


I was really proud of her working through this. Dom also said it was a great schooling experience and reassured me her initial reaction is very normal for a first attempt.

From here we went to the dry banks and the confidence building paid off:



Usually kiss will look at the down banks and hesitate but she felt good and confident...and i am getting much less worried about them myself! From here Dom kicked me in the butt and said lets ride FORWARD...get up to the jump. 



We ended at the ditches and Kiss handled this like a pro too!



Our aim is Loch Moy BN this weekend...I am hoping we are ready. 

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Shes getting there! She definitely is less confident than tillie so I have to try hard to really hold her hand.

      Delete
  2. I can imagine it is tough juggling two ponies at a XC schooling!

    ReplyDelete