Monday, May 13, 2019

Bridleless: fad or...?

I will admit, for a long time...any time I saw someone riding bridleless I would think to myself "show off" or "they are just doing it because its the new thing to do." But I came to an accident realization this winter that Tillie really responded to a neck rope. Like ALOT better than when I half halted with a bridle.


The first time I took the bridle completely - talk about adrenaline. We went schooling at Loch Moy and Tillie amazed me with how well she jumped with no bridle...and no me getting in her way.

I thought I released enough, but turns out not enough:


compared to:


I won't lie, feeling her head go that low is a bit disconcerting...but clearly her scope over bigger fences prefers the use of her head a neck. This is something I know I will need to work on this season with her. Finding that balance between releasing but not RUNNING unbalanced at stuff.

You know self preservation.


However, one thing bridleless has done for us, besides building more trust, is having a more responsive half halt even in the bridle. Maybe it was me needing to use my seat more...go figure. But its in there. It isn't perfect yet like I can get bridleless, but its there and happier than when using any rein at all.

Here's to hoping we can somehow use this for us this year! So while I originally thought this might be just a fad, it has been an amazing training tool for us.

2 comments:

  1. She is on FIRE over those fences. That form is killer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you!! and RIGHT?! New goal is to figure out how to get this with a bridle!

      Delete