Thursday, August 17, 2017

Life changes and big moves

I have been pretty terrible about blogging this year...I have alluded in some of my posts before that my personal life was evolving and going through pretty major changes. It has been all consuming and definitely a process. From feeling rocky to relief, progress and pain its been quite a whirlwind.

I am sure I am not alone. Statistically speaking, I likely know more people than not who have done through a divorce. It certainly is an event that makes you evaluate your life, goals and priorities.

If I look at my life a year ago, I wouldn't recognize it and in a good way. The role my horses play in my life has gone through some explorations. The horse I last posted about purchasing was quite fun and so pleasant to work with. He had that puppy dog personality that was a magnet for everyone that visited the farm. I am sad, but happy, to say he sold pretty darn quickly to his new person. So I am back down to Tillie.

Our first event of the season at Training level!

With the life changes, it also seems I am putting a lot less pressure on my riding and actually enjoying the fun of it. I must say it definitely has shown a huge change in Tillie who has been quite pleasant from the start of the season.

One of the few clear rounds of the division

She has really stepped up to the plate and become a true Training level packer...essentially saving my butt when I am not riding and all in all making this level fell easy. Gosh, crazy to even say that when this time last year we were starting out at this level and I felt like every fence was a huge gamble...and the inbetween riding was definitely not as refined.

Loch Moy in July (we got 7th!) conquering the double brush table that we fell at the novice level just a year earlier. 

A few things seemed to have helped Tillie come into herself, 1. a less rigid me being the biggest one. 2. a new saddle that fits us both. 3. Hock injections


She is really starting to get her shoulders up. I now know when she jumps over her shoulder and collapses, I either rode poorly and took my leg off, or if its super consistent, something is bothering her. (AKA her hocks).

It really helps I have someone who wholly supports my passion.
Tillie eating up the combination at Loch Moy
I hope it doesn't sound like gushing...I really am just feeling like this is why I went through the pain. We have hard times, ups and downs...and the ups make the downs worth it right? Until they don't and you have to change. And that shit is scary

So can be galloping at a fence but we do it anyway right!?
The hardest thing of all was leaving my dog behind. No dog ever replaces another, but they can certainly help fill a void. I know other dog owners know exactly what I mean when I say life just feels weird without a dog when you're used to having one around. 


Meet Goose on his gotchya day! 
 He certainly has become my partner in crime. I take him with me to the barn and shows. While he can be a little Tasmanian devil at times, he is my Goose!

How he likes riding in the car
Depsite Tillie's awesomeness so far this year, it was around the time we competed at Seneca I decided to start causally listing her for sale. While we both have come so far together and I am sure will continue to, she is not my forever horse. I do love her and will be incredibly sad to see her go, but I know she'll offer someone else a wealth of knowledge like she did for me. 

Not the greatest stadium round at this event, but some hock injections did the trick. 
 I am in no rush to sell her and still actively competing her. I am so pleased that with each event, we both just keep adding to what we learned and for the first time this year, I have begun tracking our time and using my event watch. Last year it was all about going clean and safe - which it always is! But we can actually add speed now and have breaks without the fits or fighting.

Tillie owning the jump just after the water combo at Seneca

There is so much to love about this mare. I have countless trainers supporting my decision and encouraging me to keep going with her. I have discussed her sale in great angst and still to this day waiver, but ultimately if the right match comes along I wont refuse.

Locking on to jumps and eating them up

I can sing her praises to anyone high and low but can also readily admit her faults and that she can be quite a finicky ride. She likes what she likes and will let you know when she doesn't like it. It has been a 4 year partnership learning her that has convinced her that working like this isn't going to kill you. 

Smiling when riding!! Never thought I'd see the day

The knowing one another like the back of my hand definitely has come into handy. With the amount riding has deviated in my life, Tillie has been like a rock and super consistent even if I haven't been.


She likes me even if she doesn't show it all the time

It is really crazy looking back at this blog and seeing posts of extreme frustration questioning whether she was capable. Don't get me wrong, I still do sometimes. But damn it if this mare doesn't come out ready to work with so much try...I can tell you if and when she sells and I am on the hunt for a new horse, it damn well better have half the heart she does. 

Loch Moy 7th place in July!
 I have had tons of non-serious interest in her, and ill admit I am completely ok with that. I am excited to say after last weekend at Fair Hill, we are now qualified for the move up to Prelim and for waredaca's big 3 day event - both of which I have scheduled!

Many people I have talked to have encouraged me to keep the ride on her through prelim or more for the experience since we know each other so well. Prelim is definitely that level in the back of my mind I have put off knowing its the first of the "Upper levels." Its pretty cool, but also pretty darn intimidating.

Moving up from second to last to 6th because of this beast and her jumping!

We decided after last weekend feeling so easy despite me being sick, that maybe it was time to choose the event we would make our Prelim debut at. So far its scheduled to be Seneca in early September with the ability to drop back down again the week before if I feel uneasy. In that case we would reroute to Flora Lea.

My show buddy already getting so big
I was so freaking proud of her last weekend. Despite dressage being a struggle (for me test riding is my nightmare), Tillie brought it for jumping. The stadium round was tricky which she owned and went clear bumping us up to 9th place. Then in an even more exciting turn of events, We went double clear on cross country - Yes even under time!!! It is the first event we have achieved this.
On a random note: Did I mention my love of cooking has resurfaced!?
While Seneca and Loch Moy we were close with fewer time penalties, this event was the first one we were closest to the optimum time in my division as well! This bumped us all the way up to 6th.  Which, might I add, was against riders like Mr. Dutton, Courtney Cooper and Jennie Brannigan to name a few.

my big eared animals
 So with all that said, I have decided to try my best to start blogging again to document the road to waredaca. I know it will be an incredible learning experience and really hope Tillie stays healthy and sound along the way!




7 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear you have gone through such a big change in your life, but it sounds like it has really benefited you, even if it doesn't seem like it did at the time. Glad to see you back to blogging and can't wait to hear more about Tillie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Hope all is well on your end...I have some reading to catch up on :)

      Delete
  2. I'm glad things are looking up for you and you are feeling more positive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH my! Thank you for sharing what you've been going through. I went through a very similar experience a few years back during my divorce too. I totally understand at least in part what you may be going through. Having the right horse, a supportive partner and lots of great friends can get you through even the toughest challenges life throws at you. Tillie looks great (and I am secretly hoping YOU get to take her Prelim) -- I'm surprised Dom hasn't tried to steal her!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, I hope your experience gave you strength and ended up on the positive side. It certainly is life changing. Lol and fingers crossed, but seems Prelim is just around the corner!!!

      Delete
  4. Hey - recent divorcee right here. If you ever want to exchange notes and what-not, I'm happy to, the road to recovery is a long bumpy one! I'm so glad I had my horse and my horse-friends to help me through.

    ReplyDelete